[Air-l] Blog as a collective action tool

Aristides Emmanuel Pereira aristides_pereira at msn.com
Thu Apr 5 21:30:23 PDT 2007

I can see that by a certain kind of factors and what can be called a chain
reaction of curiosity/gossip a word can get into the top ten or, as in this
case, first place in the technorati ranking - for some technical reasons
like number of hits, search strings, etc, right?

I am wondering if the same can be said to blogs as a "collective action
tool" in the sense of blogs being manipulated and used collectively to act
as a agent of social transformation.

In my case, studying the marketing of celebrities in blogs I found out that
the exposure of privacy together with the use of language helps the
increasing in popularity of certain celebrities here in Japan - the audience
consumes the celebrities' images as a specific product that is seen
associated with the celebrity in other medium.

Aristides Emmanuel Pereira, M.A. Int. Cultural Studies
PhD Candidate
Department of Multi-Cultural Societies
Graduate School of International Cultural Studies
Tohoku University
Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi
980-8576 JAPAN
www.bleepsblops.com