[Air-l] studying web pages

Alexander Semenov semenoffalex at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:35:29 PDT 2007

Hello, Kalliopi
My suggestion can seem a little amateurish and non-professional but anyway
I'm sure that here will be a lot of useful advices =).
When I was doing a project on the analysis of marketing strategies of
several companies in the web, I suggested the following thing:
to look at the main menu and check, which items will be on the first level
of the menu, which on the second, on the third etc. For example, one
company's menu may include such items as "partners, clients, services
etc." and the others "our company, jobs, customers". Also we analysed the
matherials, published on the sites. For example, one company had a very
large amount of financial reports for each quarter, year etc, other - had
a lot of information about their products, another one had a separate
pages for each of its leaders, directors etc. Also you can make discourse
analysis of thir mission statement and other formal attributes of serious
company. It can be easily formalised and quantified by simple word
counting, word frequensies, KWIC or any other content analysis technique.
What I suggested abowe is a mere improvisation - I'm sure, that you'll
receive many replies with references to proper articles, research papers
with robust methodological part etc. That was just my thoughts and
experience - nothing more, so don't judge it strictly =).
By the way, I got my inspiration for that project from Roland Barthes'
"Rhetoric of the Image". Amazing text!
Best wishes.

Alexander Semenov.
MA student
Faculty of Sociology
Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences (MSSES)
http://www.msses.ru/English/index.html