[Air-l] consent for asynchronous qualitative email interviews withinternational participants

Monica Barratt monica.barratt at postgrad.curtin.edu.au
Sat Apr 14 20:04:32 PDT 2007

Dear Catherine,

I recommend you read the following reference:

Roberts, L., & Indermaur, D. (2003, 24-25 March). Signed consent forms in
criminological research: Protection for researchers and ethics committees
but a threat to research participants? Paper presented at the Evaluation in
Crime and Justice: Trends and Methods Conference, Canberra. Retrieved 4
April 2006, from http://aic.gov.au/conferences/evaluation/roberts.pdf

In my research field (illicit drug use research), it is standard practice
not to obtain signatures from participants as this may compromise their
anonymity in the case of subpoena.

You are conducting email interviews so clearly it is more convenient to
obtain 'electronic' consent. In my project, I have a short consent script
that I will exchange with interviewees which reads:

I have read the explanation of this study and agree to participate. I
understand that my participation in this study is entirely voluntary.

Username or first name: (eg. JoeBloggs83 or just Joe)

Date:
Obviously this happens after they have looked over the participant
information and we have discussed any concerns they may have.

I hope this is useful for you. Good luck!

Monica Barratt
PhD Student
National Drug Research Institute
AUSTRALIA