[Air-l] how to pin down web 2.0

Sam Ladner samladner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:39:59 PDT 2007

I have to agree with Alex's tongue-in-cheek definition. I have worked in
interactive agencies and we would roll our eyes when the client would ask
for something "Web 2.0." It came to be a bit of shorthand for "something
cool like Flickr/Google Maps/Facebook." We eventually just learned it to
mean "ajax."

I did see a presentation recently by Jakob Nielsen at the IA summit in Vegas
last month. He argues that Web 2.0 is characterized by social interaction
but also through open APIs. He gave us the example of Twitter Vision, which
is a mashup of google maps and twitter. Check it out if you have a
voyeuristic streak and time to kill.

Those in the industry these days are thinking Web 2.0 is already dead.
They're thinking Web 3.0 is being built -- and I have to agree -- using
things like open APIs in the mobile channel.