[Air-l] Methodological research around blogs

Radhika Gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Sat Apr 21 05:07:53 PDT 2007

I have a couple advisees examining blogs (from and about China) and
these are mostly being used as methodological tools - I will pass
this on to them and see if they have anything for you.

Mostly though cyber-anthropology, cyberethnography , virtual
ethnography and so on are methodologies developed in interaction with
various online interfaces and we work on extending them in order to
work with blogs and other online/offline intersections. As you point
out - they dont explicitly talk about blogs or other online fora as
methodological tools - but in engaging blogs as "tools" one must also
understand life and living at these sites in order to understand
their limitations and possibilities while examining them as "data".

On Apr 21, 2007, at 7:51 AM, sop01kj at gold.ac.uk wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations or references which might be
> helpful
> in trying to find out if there is any methodological research
> around blogs
> or photoblogs as ways of collecting data from participants or
> acting as
> fieldwork/visual diaries? And are there any other research groups
> interested in this?
>
> Many thanks
> Kat Jungickel - PhD Student, Sociology Dept
> Vicky Skiftou -  Academic researcher, Sociology Dept
> v.skiftou at gold.ac.uk, 0207 9197484

Radhika Gajjala
radhika at cyberdiva.org

Radhika Gajjala
Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator
School of Communication Studies
302 West Hall
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43402