[Air-l] how to pin down web 2.0

Robert Cannon rcannon100 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 11:29:12 PDT 2007

--- Kevin Guidry <krguidry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/22/07, elw at stderr.org <elw at stderr.org> wrote:
> >
> > "The Net interprets censorship as damage and
> routes around it." --John Gilmore (EFF).
>
>    I fail to see how this is applicable in this
> instance.  No, the
> state laws danah mentioned will not shut down
> websites and services.....

There is another cliche by Volohk (sp).  Borders are
still useful; they tell us where the folks with the
guns are.

As giddy as early cyberlibertarians were that the Net
was not regulatable, the guys with the guns (law
enforcement) have managed to enact any number of laws
that (somewhat) effectively regulate the 'Net.  DMCA.
911 Obligations for VoIP.  CALEA.  COPPA. ....

The ability to route around failure assumes Baran's
distributed network design.  As networks consolidate
and become less distributed, the ability to reroute is
restrained.  If the local network, for example, where
the end user has a choice of only one network (or can
go to a second network but with high switching costs)
chooses to enforce regulation (their own or a states),
the end user will have difficulty routing around the
"failure."

Cybertelecom :: Federal Internet Law & Policy
            www.cybertelecom.org

          Washington hOCKEY Wiki
           wockey.stikipad.com
News Tryouts Clubs Leagues Pickup Rinks Info