[Air-l] on conferences

Mia Consalvo consalvo at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 26 10:57:40 PDT 2007

Thanks Jeremy :).

there are of course disciplines that do both well, but one of our biggest
challenges is our inter-disciplinary nature. One of the reviewers this year
made a great suggestion- that when submitting abstracts have the authors
include, perhaps as a keyword, their disciplinary affiliation. And on the
flipside, potential reviewers would also list their disciplinary
affiliations so that we could try to match at least one reviewer from the
discipline to the abstract.

We also, unfortunately, must sometimes assign reviewers abstracts outside of
their areas of expertise, or simply see the abstract go un-reviewed. The
solution there is of course to have more reviewers-- which is a challenge
from year to year.

I'd be in favor of having full papers for future conferences, but I will
agree with Ted and some others that I do go to conferences that review full
papers only, and it is NOT a guarantee of quality. I'd stack AoIR's quality
against any other conference, and I think we'd win many times.

Mia

--
Mia Consalvo, Associate Professor
Director of Graduate Studies