[Air-l] I'm researching virality in social networks : suggested papers?

Tom Shelley tom at projectredstripe.com
Mon Apr 30 02:41:08 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to research virality and social architecture in social networks.
If you could point me towards some papers that deal with these topics I'd be
very grateful.

Some of the areas that interest me are as the following :

How does social design affect the spread of social networks? If there were a
paper with great real world examples that would be perfect.

What specific features can help hinder the spread of a social network?

How different invitation models effect the spread of a social network, and
the subsequent community development? aSmallWorld vs MySpace vs college-only
Facebook.

Can a rapid spreading site destroy the original community?

How to create a truly social space as opposed to YASN?

These are issues that are clearly very important and I'd love to find some
great research on them.

Thanks a lot ,

Tom