[Air-l] I'm researching virality in social networks : suggested papers?

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 08:05:30 PDT 2007

John Veitch <jsveitch at ate.co.nz> wrote:The questions Tom Shelly asks are far too difficult to understand. Online Social Networks are too new, and too fragile and too different
for research into the questions asked to be possible. There are just too many variables.

  IMHO the assumption of "difference" is doxa that has not been demonstrated empirically, if one starts from the time honored practice of assuming "no difference" i.e the null hypothesis. The statistics you quoted about online groups is present in the local Rotary Club.

  As I interpret the research, I have come to the conclusion that the bulk of social networks are reflective of the offline origins. I have found no smoking gun. (so to speak). Indeed I draw this conclusion from the research of many members of this list. Esther are you still here.

  Newness is not indicative of difference. If one accepts general process it leads to the lawfullness of human behavior whether online or offline.