[Air-l] Social media in rural communities

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Mon Apr 30 16:11:23 PDT 2007

errr. yes. In the West, at least, it's the acceptable catch-all for
sexual minorities - gay, lesbian, transsexual and transgender people,
bisexual and intersexed people... There is an extensive body of queer
theory in social science and literature studies that has been built up
since the early nineties. So if it's a fashion it's a persistent one.

Some older gay men have said to me that they can't bear the word - it
has very painful resonance for them, as it was used as an insult when
they were young. But it does have wide acceptance.

M-H