[Air-l] Ph.D. student is looking for a good home for his Thesis

Sam Ladner samladner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 05:26:32 PDT 2007

Holey Moley Michael,

That sounds just awful. I'm afraid I can't help you but am sending you lots
of good vibes.

Surely you must have some recourse with your university? I can't imagine
them wanting your nearly complete PhD thesis to leave their research pool?

Is this really a common occurrence? In Canada, it takes an average of
6.5years to finish a PhD in social sciences and humanities. Speaking
in year 5,
I can say I feel pretty good that I will be done before the average time.
But I cannot imagine what I would do if I were behooved to leave my
university due to a conflict with my supervisor.

I know that at my university, there are other things I could do. Has this
happened to anyone else on the list? A huge investment of time and money by
the candidate, the committee and the university....