[Air-l] is Internet a '"source" or a "medium"? - ignorant'squestion (fwd)

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Mon Apr 9 13:56:10 PDT 2007

I think Rich gave you the best answer so far.

"Medium" is generally used to describe any *vehicle or method* of
communication, so, for instance, television, newspapers, visual arts, and film
are all considered media because they offer a way for people to communicate.
The Internet also offers a way for people to communicate, so it is also a
medium.

A "source" is the location from which something originates, like the source of a
river might be a glacier.  A source of coffee might be a plantation.  A source
of information might be a book.  A source of information might also be the
Internet.

So, the Internet is both a source (of information) and a medium (of
communication).  They are not technically interchangable terms, but they are
also hard to take apart from each other.  For instance, how do you communicate
with someone without having information to convey?  And what use is *having*
information if you do not have a way to pass it along (communicate it) to
someone?  That is why I think people are often clumsy about the way they use
the terms - they don't describe the same thing, but they do describe closely
related concepts, and you cannot have one without the other.
-Alexis