[Air-l] Internet -- Source or Medium?

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 10:22:37 PDT 2007

The work of Beriers-Lee was a generative technology that allowed for the interactive potential of the underlying Internet technology. His goal was to allow scientists not connected by propinquity, to communicate. i.e form a social network using the technology.

  Nothing is lost in scholarship by acurrately allowing the separability of techhnology from its use. In my opinion, binding them together creates the potential for confusion.

  The bigger story to be told is the infinite variety of socially determined uses. In effect the advances in the technology simply expands the spectrum of uses. This spectrum seems to be only bound by very human creativity. Cyberspace is the house; the Internet is the hammer. I have found no evidence that AOIR is about the hammer.

William Bain <willronb at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Richard Parent wrote "So, does this internet/web distinction still hold, or have we moved
onto some new paradigm?"

On that particular point, it seems to be again a question of part/whole and to depend on which or how many protocols are involved. But it makes me wonder about web versus Web. And in passing maybe I could note that I've used as subject line the abbreviated form for this thread, slightly changed from the original one. A rose, possibly, by any other name........

Best, Will

William Bain
PhD Student
Comparative Literature