[Air-l] Our VT colleagues

Steve Jones sjones at info.comm.uic.edu
Tue Apr 17 08:04:13 PDT 2007

Indeed AoIR members and air-l members have long had connections to
Virginia Tech, and it should also be remembered that staff from
Virginia Tech assisted with the 2005 AoIR conference in Chicago
(those of you who attended may remember the people behind the
registration desk responsible for name tags, receipts, etc.). The
Blacksburg Electronic Village is also well known among CMC scholars.
I am sure many of us are connected to VT and Blacksburg either
directly or through but one degree of separation. Many of us who work
in academic environments are also no doubt touched by the shooting at
VT if only because we, and our students, are imagining something like
it happening on our campuses, places that we feel, whether rightly or
wrongly, almost invincibly safe. As is the case with so many
tragedies (too many, it seems, particularly during the past couple or
so years, and on a larger and larger scale, it seems) I have no words
for the family and friends of those killed, only sympathy, and for
all of us I wish peace.

Sj