[Air-l] CFP> Memory practices in computer-mediated communities: a research methods workshop

Howard Rosenbaum hrosenba at indiana.edu
Fri Apr 20 14:00:11 PDT 2007

***Apologies for cross-posting***

Call for papers: 3rd International Conference on Communities and
Technologies\
June 28-30, 2007, Michigan State University

Workshop: Memory practices in computer-mediated communities: a
research methods workshop
Full description at:
https://ebusiness.tc.msu.edu/cct2007/page4j.html

Community depends on memory; computer mediated community (CMC)
depends on digital memory. Human memory is limited, corporeally
bound, and subject to forgetting. As a consequence, communities
develop other means of maintaining memory. Bowker (2005) argues that
memory practices are infrastructure tools used to preserve memory in
scientific communities. Information technologies are examples of
memory practices that support community.

In this workshop, we seek to explore the concept of memory practices
in the study of community and broaden it beyond the scientific
community to include CMC: communities of practice, interest
communities, professional communities. We invite researchers of CMC
to submit 5 page position papers:

~ Describing the communities they are studying
~ The memory practices on which they are focusing, and
~ The methods they are employing to study these practices.

We welcome submissions in three broad areas.

Theme One: Historical work on memory practices, technology and
communities:
Theme Two: Memory practices in communities of practice:
Theme three: Memory practices in interest communities – gamers,
shoppers, serious leisure and other interest groups – driven by
social infrastructures.

To participate send an abstract of 500 words or less to
hrosenba at indiana.edu by May 4. Notification of acceptance will be
sent by May 18. Questions or comments:

Elisabeth Davenport, School of Computing, Napier University,
Edinburgh EH10 5DT (e.davenport at napier.ac.uk)

Howard Rosenbaum, School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington, IN47405 (hrosenba at indiana.edu)

Conference web site:
https://ebusiness.tc.msu.edu/cct2007/index.html