[Air-l] Trouble with journals

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Apr 25 14:07:14 PDT 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Ted M Coopman wrote:

> All,
>
> The "purpose" of journal publication is seeming more closely tied
> to job acquisition, retention, and promotion than sharing
> knowledge. Changing the system (in IMO we need to radically revise
> it) is quite a challenge when there are still significant numbers
> of scholars who think that an online journal is not as prestigious
> as a paper one simply because it is online (this is regardless of
> peer review, rejection rates, readership, or who is on the
> editorial board). In fact, I remember during our discussion of an
> potential AoIR publication at the 2003 Brighton conference several
> people expressed the opinion that anything we did would have to be
> physically published to be taken "seriously."
>
> If I may toss my own bomb out there, I believe that several things
> need to happen to keep our work relevant and more accessible in an
> information rich world.
>
> 1. Take the money out of it. Get rid of the publishers and
> associations that make bank off our writing and editorial work. Go
> online and make it free and accessible to everyone. Then maybe
> someone will read it!

and thus cut funding to around 10 graduate students that are friends
and colleagues, who make their money from the journal

> 2. Adopt a (mostly) open review system, although I think it should
> be restricted to editorial board members and ad hoc reviewers with
> expertise in that area and be blind. Lay out the process as it
> develops. I like the idea of a signed review, and often you can
> tell who the writer is, but personalities and politics are a reality.

thus taking out the level of professionalizing most people put into
their review by setting the standard of amateur reviews

> 3. Allows readers who register to add comments along side an
> article to stimulate interactivity and allow authors to add new
> insights or data as it becomes available. You might also allow a
> rating system on usefulness, innovation, or other criteria.

yeah, i can see this one, for online journals.

> Thoughts?

but i think the rest indicates a deep denial of the way the system
works and who benefits.