[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet" ? - ontology revisited

Robert Cannon rcannon100 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 11:38:40 PDT 2007

> [mailto:air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org] On Behalf
> Of Denise N. Rall
>
> "This thesis uses "the small i-internet" to express
> growing set of networked technologies that work
> through several infrastructures: the internet,
> mobile
> telephony, multi-user networked digital games, and
> upcoming interactive digital television.  These
> networked technologies, often called the 'new media'
> or media ecologies provide linkages to a rich set of
> theoretical perspectives that connect audiences,
> communicative media, and the subsequent development
> of
> local and global policies."

Where does the Internet end and everything else begin?
 Part of how the Internet is defined depends on why
you ask.  I am a communications attorney.  As such, it
is important to know whether one is on the Internet, a
mobile telephone network, or digital television
transmission medium.  The laws with regard to each is
entirely different.

I regularly object to Internet specific laws.  I dont
understand "Internet gambling" laws; if the problem is
gambling, why not have a gambling law (attack the
application problem at the application layer),
regardless of what network it is done over.
Nevertheless, Congress just passed an Internet
Gambling law - therefore, I must know when I am on the
Internet, and when I am on a 3G phone network, and
when I am on a street corner in Brooklyn - the laws
that apply (thanks congress) are different.

Cybertelecom :: Federal Internet Law & Policy
            www.cybertelecom.org

          Washington hOCKEY Wiki
           wockey.stikipad.com
News Tryouts Clubs Leagues Pickup Rinks Info