[Air-l] social network analysis

Alexander Semenov semenoffalex at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:46:53 PDT 2007

Dear Mr. Wellman,
May be it was me with "Hyperlink Network Analysis"?
Actually I know some basic authors of social networks analysis and
applying all my forces to make them familiar to Russian sociological
circles. For example 2 weeks ago I was talking about you to V. A. Yadov -
a "patriarchy" of Russian sociology. I gave him hyperlinks to your site
and he even assured me, that he'd read them =). By the way - all your
scanned articles were downloaded by me a year ago. So, you can be sure
that my vision of social network analysis will at least have "standard
references as a source", what unfortunately I can not say about most of
Russian researchers. Here I'll cut this thread of my thoughts as the
following will be complains about stubborn Russian academics (not all
but...) who do not want to refer to western experience and always tend to
reinvent the bicycle. I even have some funny stories to prove my point but
I'm afraid that if someone from Russian sociological circles will see
that, it will be my "political suicide" =).
Actually I had a question about "social network analysis" too, but didn't
have enough time to prepare it properly.
So, I'll try to use this situation as a ground to ask it. Sorry for
unprepared question - I didn't have much time and decided to "strike while
the iron is hot"
I am going to write an essay about stratification in social networks. But
my short queries in aoir achieves, jstor, google etc. gave me rather
disappointing results. Jstor gave me only reference to your "Network
Analysis: Some Basic Principles", but I didn't find there a concrete
reference to the question of stratification in social networks. So, the
only notable thing I revealed was that stratification in social networks
is usually connected with digital divide. I thought that stratification is
one of the most important characteristics of social structure and I was
surprised by such lack of materials about this topic.  Was I wrong? It's
my mistake, that I didn't check Castells' works on this question
thoroughly before asking. I hope, he has something useful, but don't blame
me for my conclusions made without close reading of his works - as I've
said I decided to use the occasion and didn't prepare for the proper
question. Are there any other insights about stratification in social
networks? I’m very interested in your personal opinion as it's always
pleasant to boast with a reference to a "word of mouth" of Barry Wellman
himself, even in Russia =).
If this theme will be interesting to the others, I suggest renaming it
into "Stratification in Social Networks". If not... well, than there will
be another one incoherent and misleading paper about social networks
analysis.
Thanks in advance.

Alexander Semenov.
MA student
Faculty of Sociology
Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences (MSSES)
http://www.msses.ru/English/index.html