[Air-l] Our VT colleagues

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 23:35:15 PDT 2007

The real tragedy is to assume that as an association and as individuals we can do nothing to affect the root causes of events like those at Virginia Tech. I know that AOIR promotes social participation and understanding among people in general. And I feel sure that colleagues on this list are at work on many of the psychological aspects underlying violent behavior. But obviously it’s not always enough to depend on that, even if you felt like everything possible were being done, which probably no one here does. Personally, I am not up to date on studies of rampant violence and related causes and I’d welcome information on things. something like expert opinion on approaches that hold new promise.

  Best regards, Will

William Bain
PhD Student
Comparative Literature