[Air-l] A Crystal Ball

Kurt Luther luther at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 18 18:04:42 PDT 2007

Then again, perhaps not. It's nearly 2015, and I'm still waiting for my
hoverboard and flying Delorean...

Seriously, though, with all these "Clean Slate Internet" projects on the
rise, predictions about how the Internet itself will look seem
pointless. Internet research -- at least, socially-themed research --
may take place more often in social science departments and less often
in computer science departments, in contrast to what is the norm these
days. As mobile devices become more powerful and commonplace, the
distinction between the "virtual world" and the "real world" may no
longer be very useful. I'd also imagine that many more sociologists,
anthropologists, etc. will discover that stranger and more revealing
human activities are taking place in the global village than in remote
primitive ones. If more of these scholars migrate to the field of
Internet research, we'll all be much better off, I think.

Kurt

--
Kurt Luther
Ph.D. Student, College of Computing