[Air-l] Methodological research around blogs

Aristides Emmanuel Pereira aristides_pereira at msn.com
Sat Apr 21 10:40:08 PDT 2007

Hello Kat,

My actual dissertation is about Japanese celebrities' blogs and how they use
them as a tool to promote and reinforce their public persona out of
conventional media.

I have been cataloging an gathering data from 50 different blogs and my
intention is to perform a content analysis including text and images. As
Japanese is a language that uses very particular structures to express
social relations and proximity I will be also looking for issues related to
private/public in the uses of language.

I also made a study on travelers blogs, specially about people that would
come to Japan and write about their experiences - in this case I considered
the data collected from blogs almost as 'field notes' that were collected by
third party individuals. Even within these two studies I still don't really
know how good blogs would work as methodological tools, specially in
different studies where the researcher would need a certain control over
input methods and participants.

Anyhow, I have a deep interest in this area and would be glad to
receive/exchange more information about the subject.

My regards,

Aristides Emmanuel Pereira, M.A. Int. Cultural Studies
PhD Candidate
Department of Multi-Cultural Societies
Graduate School of International Cultural Studies
Tohoku University
Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi
980-8576 JAPAN
www.bleepsblops.com