[Air-l] on conferences

Matthew Bernius mbernius at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:11:01 PDT 2007

> Jeremy is correct that AoIR did not publish the research annual (but
> he's not correct insofar as it's Peter Lang Publishing that's the
> publisher and not "Steve's Publisher" :-)). It was, as usual with all
> things AoIR, volunteer work that made it happen, and it was primarily
> Mia Consalvo who volunteered. Without here there would not have been
> an annual, just as there would not have been one without the program
> chairs who served as editors, nor without the contributors.
>
> It's also correct that the last research annual will be the last one
> published by Peter Lang. Sales were abysmal, and while I don't have
> the figures in front of me, they were in the neighborhood of fewer
> than 100 sold of each.

One option to consider is a print on demand (PoD) journal. While there might
be some stigma in releasing it through a digital PoD service like LuLu.com,
it seems that it would be mitigated by a peer-review process. The benefit is
that it eliminates direct printing costs. The final product could
simultaneously be released in PDF form (since you'd need that to build the
print file anyway).

And once templates are set up, it wouldn't be too hard to "automate," or at
least routinize, much of the production workflow. Heck this has the
potential for a great XML application.

- Matt