[Air-l] print and online journals

Richard Smith smith at sfu.ca
Thu Apr 26 07:41:47 PDT 2007

As the publisher of CJC, I better jump in on this particular part of
your story, Jonathan. I mainly agree, and I'm glad you're raising
this discussion and highlighting the nuances in a debate that tends
toward the "either or".

The Canadian Journal of Communication is *mainly* open access, with a
"hold back" of 12 months. For now, however, we do still have
subscriptions, both institutional and individual. The hold back,
however, means we don't (yet) meet the definition of open access.
We're working on it:

- In cases of urgent social matters (e.g., a recent issue in which a
very recent article of ours had some bearing on a current public
policy issue) we will open up an article or even a whole issue;

- When we have sponsorship (twice in the past three years, I
believe), we open things up even sooner.

- We make the journal available online to libraries outside of the
OECD at a reduced or free rate.

That said, it is the stated objective of the journal - and my
personal objective - to move toward full open access. The funding
agency for journals in Canada is generally supportive of this
direction, and new software (like the excellent Open Journal Systems
2.1 - see http://pkp.sfu.ca/) makes this more possible by enhancing
the labouring part of producing journals.

And I think "online" and "prestige" are not incompatible and it will
soon be a forgotten issue. The quality of the journal will be in the
quality of the editor, the quality of the reviews, the quality of the
editorial board, and ultimately, the quality of the articles.

The other element about going online, which isn't often talked about
and isn't really connected to open access or not, is the experience
for the authors. A journal is nothing without its authors and
increasingly authors are demanding/expecting a fully online
submission/review process. This is what we got with OJS - it is the
"gateway drug" to open access for traditional journals, in my
opinion, since it demonstrates vividly how easy it would be to go the
next step.

And, I can confirm Jonathan's point that readership shot up. Not
subscriptions - although they are holding steady and increasing
slightly - but readers. People visit the site, download the articles,
cite us in their papers. And, they submit articles - from around the
world - so we know we're having a greater impact online.

...r