[Air-l] on conferences

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Thu Apr 26 12:49:37 PDT 2007

I suspect that full-paper submission is a good low-pass filter,
catching and eliminating those who are not as prepared to present. I
would certainly agree that I have seen some excellent papers presented
at the AIR conferences, and that's the reason I keep coming back. But
I also sympathize with Barry and others: there have been some real
dogs presented. I won't exclude some of my own presentations from the
canine group.

There is no reason a move toward full papers would need to be drastic.
In future years, a call could be made for both full papers and
abstracts, the former as part of a special track that would also be
appealing to publishing arrangements with some of the journals who
have been supporters of research by AIR attendees in the past. This
would allow for the organization to "try out" full papers, without
requiring an immediate ramping up of reviewers or process.

Alex

--
//
// This email is