[Air-l] Social media in rural communities

qCentral/Mary L. Gray qcentral at indiana.edu
Mon Apr 30 13:42:16 PDT 2007

Hi Steven,

I'm completing a book about LGBT and queer young people's uses of new
media (primarily personal websites, lists, online coming out stories)
to negotiate identity and public belonging in the rural United
States. There's a small piece of that coming out in the journal
"American Studies" (if the review process finishes before I retire).
The larger ethnographic study (19 months in rural KY and along 3 of
its state borders) will be out (please!) by Fall 2008. It's
tentatively titled "Out in the Country: Youth, Media, and the
Queering of Identity" NYU Press.

</shameless self-promotion in the guise of sharing information>
; )

Mary
________________________
Mary L. Gray, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication and Culture
Affiliate Faculty
Gender Studies Department and American Studies Program
Indiana University
Mottier Hall-Ashton Center
1790 East 10th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-9700