[Air-l] Social media in rural communities

C.J. Pascoe cjpascoe at socrates.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 30 16:58:42 PDT 2007

I agree with Jarek, that the use of the word queer is  less about
"fashion" than it is about 1) a deliberate attempt to reclaim (often
medicalizing and normalizing) academic discourses about non-
heterosexual people and practices and 2) a reflection of the work
done by activist groups and movements such as Act Up who challenged
the assimilationist message of more mainstream gay and lesbian groups.

If you are interested in the use of the word queer and queer theory
in general, a great place to start would be with Fear of a Queer
Planet edited by Michael Warner or Queer Theory/Sociology edited by
(I believe) Steven Seidman.

CJ

C.J. Pascoe, Ph.D.
Institute for the Study of Social Change
University of California, Berkeley

Phone:		510-643-4227
Web:			http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~cjpascoe
Book:			http://ucpress.edu/books/pages/10671.htm