[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet"

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 07:32:56 PDT 2007

In my opinion, conventions, fashion or styles are ontological commitments and carry with them sanctioned inferences. Just as social norms are products of committed reasoning. The premise, as originally stated, is that if you define the Internet narrowly (my form 1) social domains are not considered. The second form, less narrow, opens consideration to more options. Form 1 is a pronoun; form 2 is a common noun. I don't stand alone in this view. It is suggested in Davis, Shrobe and Szolovits AI Magazine, 14(1):17-33 as inference and is also supported by Sapir, Wharf and others in linguistics. I can provide a larger bibliography if your intent is not pugnacious. On the other hand Google Scholar produces thousands of parallel offerings. The richest sources come from discourse on Knowledge Representation (KR).

  To get there one has to take a trans-disciplinary view ; which allows one to easily move across the boundaries.

Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> wrote:
  all I'm requesting is that you provide some evidence that the
ontological commitments that you assert exist and are not commitments
based on convention, possibly as style or fashion. either you can,
or you can't. if you can't, then your assertions are merely your
own, perfectly fine for what they are, but not really capable of
sustaining a broader position.

http://www.aoir.org/