[Air-l] evaluation of SMS campaigns

Redante Asuncion-Reed redantereed at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 07:46:12 PDT 2007

Hello all

I had a tremendous response to my first query on my research for my theses I thought I'd go to the list once again.

I am looking for literature, web sites, books, and any other resources that can give me a good overview of evaluation of SMS campaigns. If you can suggest resources specific to evaluation of SMS campaigns undertaken by NGOs and civil society organizations that would be great.

What I am looking for are general guidelines in evaluating whether your SMS campaign was successful or not. What metrics are used, and how does one define ROI (return on investment) in a social justice SMS campaign?

What I have discovered so far in my research is that the actual numbers are pretty low in many SMS campaigns by NGOs in terms of how many signed a petition, for example, by SMS. However, despite the low numbers, many NGOs still were able to use SMS campaigning to push their agenda successfully and that there is a tremendous interest among NGOs to use SMS technology for their campaigns. This is true particularly in developing countries.

Any help will be appreciated.

Redante