[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet" ?

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 19:51:16 PDT 2007

Ah -

We had this dicussion on the 'small-i' internet quite
a few years ago on this same list.

Tamara - Speaking here as a tutor, professors often
will not accept terminology without an appropriate
citation to back up the new usage.

The citation I use is the following:
Schwartz, J. (2002). Case sensitive crusader, who owns
the internet? You and i do. The New York Times. New
York: p. 3.

The passage I refer to - I don't have the full
citation here, but no less than our founding
President, Steve Jones said words to the effect: it is
time to de-capitalize the internet to normalize its
use in modern day society similarly to the phonograph
and the telephone.

There's more support for the small-i internet
elsewhere in the article.

Cheers, Denise

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2004/08/64596

http://legalminds.lp.findlaw.com/list/cyberia-l/msg27462.html

http://www.postel.org/pipermail/internet-history/2006-October/000644.h
> > tml
> >
> > My theory as to why Internet remains capitalized
> whereas the Web
> > doesn't
> > is:
> > language usage evolves in odd ways, and Internet
> seems more like an
> > acronym which perhaps innoculates it from change.

> > http://www.aoir.org/

> > http://www.aoir.org/
> >

> --
> Dr Tama Leaver
> Associate Lecturer (Higher Education Development)
> Centre for the Advancement
> of Teaching and Learning (M400) University of
> Western Australia
> 35 Stirling Highway
> Crawley WA 6009 Australia
> Ph: (+61 8) 6488 1502
> Fax: (+61 8) 6488 1156
>
> www: http://www.catl.uwa.edu.au
> www: http://www.tamaleaver.net
> edublog: http://tama.edublogs.org

Denise N. Rall, PhD thesis, "Locating four pathways to
internet scholarship" School of Env. Science, Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Tues: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/
Virtual member, Cybermetrics Group, University of Wolverhampton, UK
http://cybermetrics.wlv.ac.uk/index.html