[Air-l] evaluation of SMS campaigns

richard.ling at telenor.com richard.ling at telenor.com
Sun Apr 1 22:39:20 PDT 2007

Hi,

Given all the recent discussion with regards the meaning of words etc, I
was a little reluctant to ask what was meant by campaigns.

>From what I understand you are interested in instances of institutions
(usually non-governmental) using SMS to spread their message.  In this
instance Scott Campbell has written a little on the use of SMS and
mobile phone by AA to help people between meetings.  In this case the
institution is Alcoholics Anonymous and the impact would be a better
outcome from their process.

Another variation of this is information or service campaigns run by the
government.  It might be that the Norwegian tax return system could fit
in here.  In Norway people get a filled out version of their tax returns
sent to them.  If there are no changes to be made, they can use a
special PIN code and send an SMS message to the tax authorities saying
that everything is ok.  This is not really an information campaign, but
it is a type of streamlined public administration system.

The word campaign is also used by operators in terms of their
advertising. Indeed in Europe when you travel from one country to the
next the new operator often sends an SMS to you welcoming you to their
network and encouraging you to use their services.  Here the institution
is commercial and the impact would be perhaps increased traffic.  I
don't know of an studies regarding this.

A final meaning might be in the case of social protest.  Here the
institutions are often less formal than in the previous two cases.  The
impact, of course, is the number of people showing up for a protest or
an action.  There has been a little research in this area.  I understand
that there is a paper on this in Jim Katz' new book that is coming out
from MIT press soon.

I hope that this helps.

Rich Ling