[Air-l] Internet -- Source or Medium?

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 11:29:19 PDT 2007

I realized from William's comments that I may have miscommunicated the intent of my "hammer" comment. I meant to imply that AOIR was about the bigger story. It was intended as a complement. My apology.

  His metaphor about physics is dead on point.

  James

William Bain <willronb at yahoo.com> wrote:
  James Whyte wrote: "The bigger story to be told is the infinite variety of socially determined uses. In effect the advances in the technology simply expands the spectrum of uses. This spectrum seems to be only bound by very human creativity. Cyberspace is the house; the Internet is the hammer. I have found no evidence that AOIR is about the hammer."

If I may respectfully quibble: Would we want an association of atomic physics to be exclusively about spectroscopy? But I suppose really it comes down to the depth of the analysis and whether the definitions come from a dictionary or an encyclopedia.

Best, Will

http://www.aoir.org/