[Air-l] how to pin down web 2.0

Kevin Guidry krguidry at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 19:38:07 PDT 2007

On 4/22/07, elw at stderr.org <elw at stderr.org> wrote:

> "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." --John Gilmore (EFF).

   I fail to see how this is applicable in this instance.  No, the
state laws danah mentioned will not shut down websites and services.
However, they will still do significant damage in those states.
Worse, that damage will disproportionately affect a particular sector
of those states' populations: those dependent on public libraries and
schools for Internet access.
   This is a well-rehearsed and familiar discussion for many of us.
Given our collective familiarity with, interest in, and concerns about
the social impact of the Internet, it strikes me as a bit callous to
rely on the (unproven?  unprovable?) idea that such regulation will
not affect *me* since the Net will just "route around the damage."

Kevin