[Air-l] Trouble with journals

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 25 18:46:55 PDT 2007

I think paper versus bytes is all about being change resistant. It is like that old joke: "How many full professors does it take to change a light bulb?"

The answer: CHANGE?!!

Credit to Phil Howard, apologies to full professors, but I think you get my drift. Change does not come easily for most people and ceratinly for large institutions.

You bring up an interesting idea (elijah touched on this as well) about volunteer labor, paid labor, and who benefits. The whole system is an interesting gift and profit economy confluence. The intersection between largely public institutions, mostly unpaid labor, and for profit corporations.

A question might be, how would we change the equation on who profits? Or perhaps how it gets distributed?

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington