[Air-l] on conferences

Robert Mason rmmason at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 26 08:16:22 PDT 2007

Re: printing on demand and costs--

Several years ago when publishers were being pressured (especially by
libraries) to move to electronic publishing, they were saying that the
2/3 of the costs of a refereed journal were incurred *prior* to any ink
going on paper.  (I don't have a citation for this, but it seems
reasonable...and perhaps even too low an estimate, if one fully priced
the donated time by referees and editors.)   Saving print costs by POD
would help, but not dramatically, I suspect, even in today's XML world.

All of which raises the question about archiving and how best to archive
"archival" research that is born, and lives, digitally.  But this is
another thread, IMO.

Bob