[Air-l] Ph.D. student is looking for a good home for his Thesis

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Sun Apr 8 01:57:44 PDT 2007

Hi all.  I've just returned from two days listening to bellbirds under the
stars in the Conondale ranges, south-east Queensland.  Very relaxing.

At the risk of once again appearing anally retentive in the face of
language, a thesis is an idea or thought process and a dissertation is the
expression of a thesis (they are often used interchangeably).  A thesis can
be any idea and is not necessarily associated with research at any
particular level.  For example it is quite legitimate to hold a thesis that
explains why the US invaded Iraq, which may or may not be remotely
associated with anything that you have formally studied.  Until you submit
it some textual form, however, it's not assessable.

In other words, in a research/institutional context, your dissertation is
the textual expression encapsulating the thesis contained in your program of
research.  You submit the disstertation so that your peers/supervisors can
assess the quality of the research (including the thesis and the testing of
the thesis) and thereby award (or not) the qualification sought.

Cheers,
Hughie