[Air-l] consent for asynchronous qualitative email interviews withinternational participants

Kristin R. Wolfe wolfek857 at duq.edu
Mon Apr 9 16:03:14 PDT 2007

I believe that an email interview may not get past the ethics review
because the name of the participant would be tied to the email. However,
you may be able to set up a "blind" online survey that would allow you to
collect the data. Also, this "blind" survey would allow you to get more
accurate, i.e. less likely to "fudge" information because their name is
tied to it. In order to insure that only those invited to participate do
so, and that they only respond once, you could send each participant a
code which would be entered at the beginning of the survey. It would not
be able to be re-entered at any point in time, once the survey was
submitted, and should allow you more honest research.
--
Kristin Roeschenthaler Wolfe
Adjunct Professor