[Air-l] Our VT colleagues

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 00:50:28 PDT 2007

Ellis Godard wrote "Consider high school prep rallies. They

bring many folks together, but also elucidate and enunciate

boundaries between boosters and those disinterested or opposed,

and so are the subject of not only celebration but scorn."

Well, yes, of course, but I mean so I would have assumed. You

have to negotiate. Being probably too reductive about something

complex, I'd offer the idea that part of what happens in the

type of derangement that explodes into "inexplicable" violence

is a lack of understanding about how to negotiate or a lack of

negotiators. I'd take it further and say something about SSGs

but I'd be way out of my depth. Anyway, my words mean exactly

what you read there. I wouldn't want them to be misconstrued as

indicating that I am against differences. I am highly in favor

of the rhetorics of difference. It seems to me that at perhaps its

best a society is an agreement to disagree. You have to

negotiate things.

Best regards,

Will

William Bain