[Air-l] net neutrality by another name, oecd report

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Sun Apr 29 16:07:42 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Yeah, look, I'm glad this one came to light because I found another example
of the other day that seems to be being ignored ...

Via discussion on the [musicthoughts] list, it came to my attention a couple
of weeks back that database cacheing is having a similar effect as this in
the music discovery space.  It works like this:

Large music databases, iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon, etc, use a cacheing device to
improve the efficiency of their searches.  This device makes the most
popular search results more readily available than the rest, which works
well for most searches (on a zipf curve distribution).  However, it
significantly disadvantages the less-popular artists/results - to the point
of virtual exclusion - for example, on searches for versions of "The Lord's
Prayer" in iTunes, in which the versions by the more popular artists drown
the versions by less popular artists ...

That may not be all bad, but it has gotten to the stage in iTunes that even
searching for artists by name leads to a 0 result ... and that's a disaster
for "Long Tail" artists.  For example, last time I searched for my band,
"Bun' Ber E", in iTunes, it took four efforts before I got a positive result
... now THAT is effective obliteration of the same kind as payola ... and it
allows Apple to manipulate the market by including paying acts in the cache
at the expense of popular but non-paying acts (I don't know that Apple is
doing this, I'm just observing that it's technically possible to do so ...)

This phenomenon efectively creates artificial scarcity and returns the
market to pre-digital conditions, working to the strengths of the hegemony
... IMHO

WDYR??

Cheers,
Hughie