[Air-L] how do you build a new internet

Robert Cannon rcannon100 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 13:18:52 PDT 2007

> chose from :). If Public
> Internet is no longer feasible, we may end up with a

Public Internet:  What do you mean by "public
internet?"  In terms of communications, a "Public
network" is a term of art that refers to regulated
common carriers; the Internet is not a regulated
common carrier. The Internet is a mixture of publicly
and privately owned interconnected networks; not all
of those networks are available for public use.
http://www.cybertelecom.org/notes/public_internet.htm

> > Right, but Google is also going to be deploying a
> internet connections,
> > most likely via wireless (perhaps wimax, depending
> on how soon they get
> > it off the ground). They'll be using all the dark
> fiber they've bought
> > up as well as their vast number of blackboxes

If google does so, they will have to do it on someone
else's network.  They do not own (to my knowledge)
wimax licenses.
http://www.cybertelecom.org/broadband/wimax.htm Google
can own all the dark fiber it wants - that is not the
problem.  The problem is last mile access to the
individual generally at a residence.  Google's
solution here has been to support municipal wifi
networks but otherwise Google is not a "last mile"
player.

> > > I believe there are a number of major
> corporations (Microsoft included)
> > that
> > > are trying to develop a so-called "NGN (Next
> Generation Network).

"Next Generation Internet" NGN is a term of art for
standards work at the ITU.
http://www.cybertelecom.org/notes/next_generation_network.htm
It is an attempt at building a new Internet - but it
is much distinguished from Geni.  The Internet was the
creation of the stupid network with the intelligence
on the edge; NGN is the attempt to put the
intelligence back into the network in the name of
security and also billing and accounting.  Geni is
similar in concept, concluding that the legacy
Internet is broken.  This is a concern directly at
TCP/IP.  IP was built in an era of trust; everyone on
net was govt, academics or researchers.  But in the
current era, this design has led to spam, DOS attacks,
phishing, etc.  GENI (similar to NGN) looks to get
past this.  NGN is largely a carrier creation that
puts the carrier back in control of the network and
what you get to use on the network - GENI is more
consistent with the idea of the Internet.

> > > the maintanance and upgrades?" Right now, the
> Internet is free to use
> > (ISP
> > > charges are for connection not for use of the
> network really). If

Subscribers (individuals, universities, municipalities
or corporations) pay fees to their ISP - with this,
ISPs pay fees to Internet backbones to interconnect -
ISPs pay fees to telecommunications networks for
facilities - ISPs pay fees to application services for
applications.  There is nothing free about the
Internet - someone is always paying.  There are some
good papers that map the flow of money and value over
the Internet (sorry I dont have a link for that one).