[Air-L] public/private

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Sat Aug 11 15:46:36 PDT 2007

Ed, I'm having real problems understanding where you are coming from.
I feel like I'm reading someone arguing that the Tuskegee Syphilis
Research was bad...with people who are arguing the reverse. I don't
think that is really where the rest of us are positioned.

Many years ago, I did EEO case preparation.  One of the rules we lived
by was called The Rule of Ten, and I think it applies to what we do as
researchers as well.  The rule works like this...if I went up to ten
random people on the street...now they have to be "similar" to the
complainant, so ten black women or ten men over 50 years of age...and
did to them or said to them, etc. what was done to the complainant
would they be upset?  It's a pretty good test to think your way
through, and to use in discussion with others.

So would ten random people on the street be harmed if I took their
public words and used them in a study?  And harmed doesn't mean not
joyously happy...it means harmed. A journal article that is published
in an academic venue is no more likely to lead someone back to the real
life person behind the blog then their everyday postings.  You are not
exposing them to a new audience, maybe a bit brighter light I
agree...but the audience is already there and much larger than any
group an academic article will tap, they have a potential audience of
everyone on the planet who has any access to the internet.

Also I would like to say that getting a release doesn't mean
participants can't be harmed by the research.  It simply means they
were informed of possible harms...it passes responsibility to them for
their decision to be part of, say an MRI study.  They could conceivably
still be physically, emotionally, etc. harmed by the research.

Is there a chance of harm from any of the research we do...a small one
for most projects.  And I can be hit by a falling satellite when I take
my walk this evening...life is full of minimal risks, and more than a
few maximal ones as well.

The issue is not making anything risk-free, that's impossible.  The
issue is are the risks known, and are the known risks low enough that
subjects are protected...if the known risks aren't low enough then the
subjects must be informed of the risks and allowed to make a personal
decision on their participation.

Nothing in the law or the Human Subjects documentation I've read has
ever said "risk-free" it says, and rightly so, "minimal risk."

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com