[Air-L] public private

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Sun Aug 12 05:39:45 PDT 2007

DLB wrote:

> Hm, well, not completely true. In some states, malls are public
> fora for
> purposes of the state constitution -- the right to expression
> overrides the
> private property interest in those cases. The point being that it is
> dangerous to draw parallels between physical spaces and virtual
> spaces,
> something many of us have written about.
>
> DLB

Ed wrote:

Don is right in that I overstated the "every" . . . there are
exceptions as there are differing state laws AND there are different
kinds of malls.

However, there is also a difference between free speech rights
(rights to expression) and laws that apply to doing private work
(like collecting research data). I won't argue over whether there are
some limited exceptions. I will, however, continue to note that MANY
malls ARE treated, both by their ownership companies and by the
jurisdictions in which they do business, as private real estate in
which property interests and the rules owners set ARE the controlling
feature and collecting data without their consent is specifically
prohibited.

I also think that Don is right "that it is dangerous to draw
parallels between physical spaces and virtual spaces".
My response to Conor was intended to note that the assumption that
mall=public is NOT the default condition in many places in America.
Sorry to have overstated the case.

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program
and Department of Communication