[Air-L] public private

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sun Aug 12 06:34:27 PDT 2007

> To spin this back in the direction of the original thread, my main
> concern with the "always ask permission first" philosophy is that it
> gives us a world where criticism and cultural commentary can only
> happen
> at the whim of those whose words are being critiqued.

I think Gil hits it on the head here.  Not everything requires
permission first, either permission or waiver from the IRB, nor
informed consent.  Both IRB and informed consent systems come into
play in very specific contexts at the federal level as best as i can
tell.  However, on the level of the university, the faculty can set
further standards, and those standards are pretty much entirely
open.  One could view the push toward requiring permission first as a
push against critical analysis, and there is likely a systemic
subpolitics against it already in some places.  So I think we need to
strongly resist the tendency to say anything published in the public
realm is related to human subjects issues or even university ethics
issues, lest the whole lot of contemporary culture, literary,
linguistic, etc. etc. studies gets sent the way of ward churchill.

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal