[Air-L] Private Public

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 02:51:55 PDT 2007

Well, I don't know what you mean by "in MySpace," but as I understand
it, there are always multiple channels of communication on social
networking sites. For instance, while one might post to someone's wall,
which is in full view of all those who have "friended" the owner of the
wall (if the page is set to display only to such friends, which
constitutes an intriguing variable), there is also the option of a
"private message" or PM. This is very much a note in an envelope, sent
via the postal service. We as researchers will never have access to this
in "published" form.

I am in complete agreement with Jeremy's response to Ed's very
meticulous presentation of UoI IRB standards: blogs are published. End
of story.

Marj's distinction between textual analysis and ethnography is indeed
very interesting, and I believe that in this particular case her
argument holds, but in general I am reticent to distinguish too much
between the two categories of research. At least, that's how I work.

Conor