[Air-L] The slow decay of mySpace?

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Wed Aug 22 06:25:00 PDT 2007

Martin, I have been thinking about both the transition and metric
issues for sometime.  When I teach entry-level informatics, one of our
writing assignments is for each student to do a form of
"technobiography."  The term was coined in "Cyborg Lives?  Women's
Technobiographies."

As most things can be on the internet, when I started using the term
with my classes in 2005 the only sites, found via Google search, were
those related to the authors of the original work.  Now I see the term
is gaining some traction.

Technobiographies are the only clear way I see in teasing out
technological migration.  Right now I'm only using them as a writing
assignment...but I have plans for future research using their writing
as data.  After diss of course.

Reference List

Henwood, Flis, Kennedy, Helen M. T., & Miller, Nod (2001). Cyborg
Lives?  Women's Technobiographies. York UK: Raw Nerve Books Limited.

Kennedy, Helen M. T. (Winter 2003). Technobiography:  Researching
lives, online and off. Biography: An Interdisciplinary Quarterly,
26(1), 120-139.  Abstract available at
http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst;jsessionid=GM2P8hQwx9Hs0hpk7vnM03LJzS3Gjy1QLLMncL4nvQplyL4qbSjp!-1144844678?docId=5001930468

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com