[Air-L] public/private [part 1 of 2]

M. Deanya Lattimore mdlattim at syr.edu
Mon Aug 13 07:00:57 PDT 2007

I do this with my classes sometimes but nothing formal yet.
I have an "audience" exercise in which I've asked them to write a blog
post about something and then I have them all look at each other's
papers and read them as if they were all different kinds of people:
their mother, their grandmother, their preacher, their best friend,
their potential employer, their potential spouse... etc.

Most of my 18-20-year-old students right now don't expect that their
*friends* will read their blogs; they expect their audience to be "the
world" and they are always surprised that it's more often local.

Typically, one or two students in every class -- usually those who
already blog -- get very angry with me over this assignment.  They
really don't like me pointing out that their grandmother or their
preacher might read their blog, LOL.

I expect that their expectations will change over the next 5 or so
years, so maybe there's the hook I need to do this formally.

:-D.
Deanya