[Air-L] Public/ Private

George Floros georgefloros at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 12:34:12 PDT 2007

Jeremy stated
> luckily, in science, it doesn't matter if I or you are conscientious,
> what matters is that we publish and share our findings.  over time,
> those findings will either be used and shown useful or not, or
> forgotten.
> most research on human behaviour is
> only reproducible in the abstract and then likely only in statistical
> relations.   reproducibility as such is not what makes something
> science or scientific, or even worthwhile.  in fact, i'd argue that
> finding a reproducible thing... most of the time has nothing to do
> with science per se, but quite alot more to do with organizational
> theory, but that's a whole other set of arguments.
well then we'll leave at this ;  I got a deja-vu feeling from this
dialogue, it's eerily reminiscent of the clash between the viewpoints of
the 70's and 90's in psychiatric research.
I considered some points self-evident because of the historical outcome
in my field but I suppose other viewpoints can be useful as well in
other fields. I don't have this option where I stand. Nor would I like
using this line of thought, come to think of it.

George