[Air-L] Ethics and grad students

mhward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 14 17:54:42 PDT 2007

I think this is another interesting issue. Neither of my supervisors want to
be listed on my papers routinely, and we have all agreed that I will decide
whether their contribution to a paper will be sufficient for me to add their
name. (At Sydney we don't have the concept of 'chairing' the thesis - the
entire PhD is usually examined on the thesis alone and the supervision of
the work is generally by one or two people, and although this not the case
across Australia it is still a very common practice. It's also the subject
of my own PhD.) However, both of them are full professors (ie very senior
academics in our system) and I'm a (very!) mature student. I don't feel I
need their names for credibility and they don't feel they need to be on my
papers for their reputations or to increase their research output.

On the other hand, my partner is supervising several research students in
the Nursing Faculty of this University. She contributes a lot to her
students' publications - beyond editing and providing the odd reference -
and she (quite rightly) has her name as a secondary author on all of their
publications as of right.

M-H