[Air-L] how do you build a new internet

Michael Baron webbaron at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 22:54:06 PDT 2007

I believe there are a number of major corporations (Microsoft included) that
are trying to develop a so-called "NGN (Next Generation Network). However,
there are a number of issues associated with it.

The simplest but yet the most comlex of them all is "who is going to pay for
the maintanance and upgrades?" Right now, the Internet is free to use (ISP
charges are for connection not for use of the network really). If Microsoft
develops a private network of this kind, I doubt it is going to be "free for
all".

On 8/2/07, Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> wrote:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/aug/01/news.internet/print
>

> Jeremy Hunsinger
> Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
> School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
> (www.cipr.uwm.edu)
>
> Words are things; and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a
> thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions,
> think. --Byron

"My Body is my Temple"
"Be The Change You Want to See In The World." Gandhi