[Air-L] Dissertation

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Aug 9 06:43:07 PDT 2007

actually, you might not even need 'informed consent' at all.  in
fact, you probably don't need it.  you may not even need to disguise
your research subjects.

the first step is 'do not go overboard' in your ethical assumptions.

the second step is to contact someone who has published something
similar to what you are doing.  posting to general lists like this
will get your general and usually very nervous responses.  experience
counts, look at your bibliography, see who has done what, write them
specifically.  your context and country counts more than anything else.

the third step is to check your newly found opinions against the aoir
guidelines, which then will make you check against both your
disciplinary ethical guides and your legal situation.

with those three steps in hand, you are set.  If you don't do step 2,
check with people who you cite, you will likely get it wrong.  Start
with who you cite, base your ethical stance on prior work, so you
know your tradition, and you know its requirements.  Don't worry
about too much otherwise.   don't worry about the international or
american context unless prior researchers in your country have
worried and found ways to deal with it.

I worry about the 'contact me offline' below.  it suggests to me that
there is some 'secret knowledge'  that cannot be known.  There is none.