[Air-L] public private

Paul Jones pjones at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Aug 10 15:46:54 PDT 2007

a good bit of the compulsary license is aimed at mechanical reproduction.
left over from piano rolls, then from juke boxes and the like. this goes
to the composers and publishers.

the performance right created in the 1970s protects the performers who
were for the first time recognized as creative contributors with something
at stake. before that bands were work for hire performing the works of the
creative, the constucted composer (more often an owner with the composer
as a front).

so that a public performance of a piece of recorded music might benefit
not only the composer but the band (both constructed with the actual
performer and composer's rights removed or diluted).

now stream that music on the internet. another right is exerted. now the
performance rights even of the backup singers are to be rewarded and paid
to one organization, sound exchange.

all of this is pretty much off topic and highly reductive. folks seriously
interested are refered to "This Business of Music: The Definitive Guide to
the Music Industry" By Sidney Schemel, M. William Krasilovsky or to Paul
Goldstein's many writing's including Copyright's Highway (a bit dated but
readable by nonlawyers). Those who are more questioning might read
Lessig's various books, Boyle's Shamans, Software and Spleens (again time
has put some pressure on this) and Jessica Litman's Digital Copyright.